Trenton Comprehensive Plan
Trenton is beginning the process of updating its comprehensive plan, and we need your input!
What is a comprehensive plan?
The comprehensive plan helps guide the development of the city for the next 20 – 25 years. The plan will shape many future aspects of the community, including well-designed parks, streets, neighborhoods and business districts.
Key characteristics of comprehensive plans:
- They involve a variety of topics (land use, streets, housing, parks, etc.) and cover the entire city, not just certain smaller areas or neighborhoods
- They are general, summarizing high-level policies, goals, and objectives, compared to a zoning ordinance that regulates the design and use of individual parcels.
- They are long-range, looking forward 20 to 30 years.
The purpose of the comprehensive plan is to:
- Identify the needs of the community.
- Develop a vision, goals and policies directly addressing those needs.
- Guide the operations and investment in land development, including uses, parks, streets, open space, public utilities and infrastructure.
- Provide guidance and prioritize financial investments and funding for identified community projects.
Why are comprehensive plans important?
A comprehensive plan establishes goals and direction for a community that the city and other community organizations or businesses can use in making decisions that advance the vision set by the whole community. The comprehensive plan:
- Outlines a vision and set of goals designed to address the needs identified by the community.
- Provides an opportunity for residents and stakeholders to establish, shape and guide the priorities of the community.
- Establishes a vision for future development and redevelopment opportunities that will positively impact the quality of life within the community.
- Outlines a series of steps and actions the community can undertake to implement the vision developed through the comprehensive planning process.